So far in our gratitude challenge, we’ve focused on a variety of ways to make us more grateful and, as a result, happier in our day-to-day life, but not today. In fact, we’re going to try not to think of ourselves as we focus on someone else’s happiness and well-being.
For today’s activity, focus on bringing joy to the people around you.
How can you bring sunshine into someone’s life today?
It doesn’t have to be big or fancy. You don’t have to know them well. It can be as simple as sharing a smile with those you pass on the sidewalk on in the grocery aisle.
Don’t choose who to smile at. Give one to everyone you see! Maybe even a hello!! Talk to someone about their day. Ask about their kids. or what they’re reading, or what they plan to do over the weekend.
- Hold the door open the door for someone.
- Lend someone a hand.
- Let another go first in line.
- Say please and thank you, even for small things.
- Start a conversation with a difficult neighbor by complimenting them or commenting on the weather.
- Offer to pick up groceries for a friend.
- If someone shares a story with you, listen to them. Think of a question to ask instead of waiting for your a chance to share your own story.
- Thank a veteran for his or her service.
Intentionally put others first throughout the day. Then when you come to the end of it, evaluate it. Journal about it in your gratitude journal. What did you notice about others? What did you learn about yourself?
So often when we focus on others,
we discover that we, too, have reaped a reward.