Have you ever heard of the Blue Zones?
Maybe you have. Maybe you haven’t. But at Body Moves, it’s something we talk about often.
The original Blue Zones are five places in the world discovered by author Dan B where the oldest and healthiest people on earth live. Those places are Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Nicoya, Costa Rica; Ikaria, Greece, and Loma Linda, California.
In this short video, NBC News special anchor Maria Shriver visits Kathie Lee and Hoda to talk about her “Eating to 100 TODAY” series.
So what are the common factors between these Blue Zones?
- MOVE NATURALLY – Stay active, even in small ways!
- PURPOSE – Why do you wake up in the morning?
- DOWN SHIFT – De-stress your life whenever possible
- 80% RULE – Stop eating when you are 80% full
- PLANT SLANT – Eat green!
- WINE @ 5 – Medicinal benefits of wine, always in measure: one glass for women, two for men
- RIGHT TRIBE – A close-knit community
- LOVED ONES FIRST – Looks different for each family
- BELONG – Specifically related to a faith-based community
The Blue Zones reveal some important principles of life that, too often, are sparse or missing in our busy lives. Over the next few weeks, we will be looking into the Blue Zones and how we can incorporate their key societal characteristics into our lives.